South Western Railway (SWR) have been in touch and asked us to share the following:
Due to the planned national strike, SWR customers are urged only to travel by rail if absolutely necessary on Saturday 8 and Sunday 9 October
• SWR will run a severely reduced service between 07:15 and 18:30 on Saturday 8 October, with significant parts of the network closed entirely
• Sunday 9 October will also be significantly impacted by the strike; first trains across the network will start much later than usual
• Due to planned engineering works, no services will run between Basingstoke and Southampton
• Mainland strike action will also impact the Island Line, with no services running between 19:00 on Saturday to 07:00 on Sunday
• TfL services will also be disrupted due to industrial action and planned engineering works on the District line between Wimbledon and Earl’s Court (which serves Fulham Broadway), with West Brompton will be closed from 17:00. Customer planning to connect to SWR services should check journey planners as last trains will be much earlier as usual
SWR has published its strike day service levels for Saturday 8 October, which will provide a severely reduced service on the routes Network Rail has made available.
Significant parts of the network will be closed entirely and those trains that are running will be far less frequent and much busier compared to normal.
Due to the impact of the strike day, customers are also urged only to travel if absolutely necessary on Sunday 9 October, when first trains will start much later than usual across the network and are likely to be very busy.
Staff at Network Rail and more than 2,100 SWR members of the RMT union are set to take strike action on Saturday 8 October, causing severe disruption.
Long-planned engineering work will also reduce the network available to SWR, meaning fewer services will run compared to previous strike days. Specifically, SWR will be unable to run services between Basingstoke and Southampton on the mainline and services towards Windsor will only run as far as Hounslow.
SWR’s reduced timetable will run from 07:15 to 18:30 on Saturday 8 October, and will consist of:
• Four trains per hour in each way between London Waterloo and Woking
• Two semi-fast trains per hour each way between London Waterloo and Basingstoke
• Two trains per hour each way between London Waterloo and Hounslow
Please check before travelling. For more information go to www.southwesternrailway.com/strike