If you have been lucky enough to have received a high value item for Christmas, consider registering your property for free on the Police endorsed National Property Register https://www.immobilise.com/. It is also recommended that you photograph each item against a plain background with a ruler alongside it, particularly for small items such as jewellery. Also, keep a written description for each item.
Other crime prevention advice is:
– Lock all windows and doors, remembering to double lock UPVC doors by lifting the handle and turning the key. Remove keys from the window and door lock and keep in a safe place out of reach and sight from the letterbox or windows.
– Consider keeping gold and jewellery in a safety deposit box. This can be in a bank.
– If you prefer to keep the items at home, then invest in a good quality safe, which is secured to a brick wall or floor.
– Store gold and jewellery in different locations in the house, but ensure that they are all in secure, protected areas.
– Consider purchasing CCTV cameras that cover your property.
– Remove valuables from view of ground floor windows and register your property for free on https://www.immobilise.com/
– Photograph each piece of valuable gold or jewellery against a plain background with a ruler alongside it. Also, keep a written description for each item.
– Ensure side and back gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property. Also make sure sheds and garages are locked with reliable and robust locks to deter any potential burglars. Choose a product which is tested and certified by Sold Secure and Secured by Design to the Police Preferred Specification.
– Consider installing an intruder alarm system by contacting an approved contractor who is a member of the National Security Inspectorate and Security Systems and Alarms Inspection Board.
– A house that appears occupied is less likely to be targeted by burglars, installing light switch timers inside the house can help make it appear occupied. Likewise, dusk to dawn or sensor lighting to the front and rear of your home can help deter potential thieves.
If you see anything suspicious you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111