Hook Village Show
On Sunday 10th September, the Village Show will take place at Hartletts Park from 12–5pm. The day is jam-packed with activities and fun for all the family. Entry is free and highlights include:
Fire Engine – sit in a fire engine, chat to the fire fighters, try on their uniform
- . Police Car – meet your beat officer and PCSO, sit in a police car, turn on the sirens and lights; crime prevention information available; dressing up kit for children and colouring fun.
Dog Show – Hart District Council’s Dog Warden will be running a dog show. Enter your dog on the day in one or more categories, which include: dog in best condition, best handler under 16 and dog with the waggiest tail.
- Tug of War Contest – Enter a team of 4 people for the chance to win £100 cash. £5 entry per team. Prior registration required.
- Fairground – A selection of fairground rides supplied by Walls & Son Pleasure Rides including Bungee Bounce, Mega Slide, Bouncy Castle Play Centre as well as others
- Show Arena – Lots of exciting events and displays throughput the day
- The Base – The Base will be holding an event either in The Base or outside (dependent on the weather)
- Classic Cars – There will be a selection of classic cars on display.
- Food and Drink – There will be a variety of food and drink stalls available including a Beer Tent, Ice Cream Vans, Sweet Stall and Burger/Sausage stall
- Tea Room – Tesco are providing a “pop up ” Tea Room in the Community Centre throughout the day
There will also be the Food and Produce show on in the Community Centre between 2pm – 4pm with the prize giving for the winners at 4pm.
Radio Frimley Park are the resident DJ’s for the day and will compere the event.
Event information will be updated on the Parish Council’s Facebook page as attractions are added. The Councillors and staff look forward to seeing you there.
As the school are re-opening after the summer, this is just a reminder to be courteous to other drivers using the Hook Community Centre Car Park, as it can get very congested. This car park is primarily for users of Hartletts Park and Hook Community Centre, but the Parish Council permits it to be used for school drop off and pick up. Please do not park in the staff or disabled parking (without a blue badge) or on the yellow lines at any time. The schools can be contacted for more information on parking at Crossways Car Park.
Refurbishment of Wellworth Park Play Area
Following the Parish Council meeting on the 2nd August, Wickstead (Design A) was awarded the contract for refurbishing the play area. A final scheme, based on Design A is being in prepared, ready for work to commence in September. Thank you to everyone who responded to the surveys; your input and comments were greatly appreciated and assisted in the decision making process. Please see next month’s Focus and the Council’s Facebook page for updates on the reopening of the play area.
Council and Committee Meetings
The public are welcome to any meetings of the Council or its Committees. The calendar of meetings and agendas are displayed on the Parish Council notice boards and website. See updates at: https://hook.gov.uk/about-hook-parish-council/council-meetings/
The Agendas are published 7 days before each meeting. at the beginning of the meetings, there is an opportunity for members of the public to speak on matters which affect the Council or Committee, under an item called the Ten Minute Rule. If you wish to attend and speak, please note the following:
– Any resident of the Parish may ask to speak during the Ten Minute Rule;
– Only one person can speak on any given topic at any meeting;
– The normal time allowed will be a total of 10 minutes, but the chairman may vary this depending on number of speakers wishing to address the council;
– The Councillors undertake to listen to the speaker, and may ask questions for clarification; it does not undertake to answer questions raised during the same session;
– The more notice given, the more specific any questions are and the more clearly an issue is described, the more likely it is that the Council will be able to provide an answer;
– Any written materials available can be submitted at least 24 hours before the meeting to the Executive Officer for circulation to Councillors.
Would you like to become a Hook Parish Councillor?
There is a current vacancy for a Parish Councillor. If you have a strong interest in your local community and would like to shape the future of Hook, then this is the role for you.
The time required to carry out the role varies depending on individual interests and Committee involvement. Attending relevant meetings and active participation, as part of a team, is essential. A commitment to attend training, support Council activities and events would also be expected. Meetings and community activities can take place during the day, evening or weekends.
Full Council meets on the first Wednesday of every month.
There are three Committees:
- Planning & Infrastructure (P&I) – meets every fortnight on a Wednesday evening.
- Environment & Community (E&C) – meets on the third Wednesday of every month.
- Finance, Strategy & Resources (FSR) – meets every two months on a Tuesday evening.
To be considered for the vacancy, please write to the Executive Officer with a summary about yourself, including:
- how long you have lived or worked in Hook
- your reasons for wishing to become a Councillor
- previous community involvement or Council experience
- any other skills you can bring to the Council
- your interests and recent career history.
The closing date for applications is 15th September. Candidates will be invited to an informal information evening on 28th September to meet Councillors and the Executive Officer. Co-option will take place at the Parish Council meeting on 1st November 2017.
Please contact the Executive Officer, Anne Atkins, for more information or a chat about this rewarding role.
SAVE THE DATE:
Hook Village Show, Hartletts Park – Sunday, 10th September 2017, 12 noon – 5.00pm