Hook Village Show and Craft & Produce Fayre – Sunday 15th July
The Hook Village Show will be held on Sunday the 15th July Hartletts Park. The event is being organised by Hook and Odiham Lions Club, in partnership with Hook Parish Council and supported by Odiham and Hook Rotary Club.
Hook Village Halls Charitable Association will also be holding a Summer Craft & Produce Fayre in the Community Centre as part of the event.
Highlights this year include:
- A central food court with over 60 stalls
- A main arena with demonstrations from Mighty Smith the World’s 5th strongest man, Sweep’s Sheepdog Show, Cove Brass band, Karen Blackburn’s Dance Academy.
- A fun dog show in the dog arena for family pets, including best 6 legs (pet and owner), waggiest tail, best rescue dog.
- Steam engine rides, fairground rides.
- Animals to stroke; donkeys, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs.
- Beer trailer, slushy drinks, real coffee.
- Vintage vehicles; 1917 Thorneycroft truck; 1926 Sunbeam car, 1939 fire engine.
Hook Fun Run and Road Race – Sunday 20th May
On Sunday the 20th May the Parish Council welcomed the Hook Fun Run to Hartletts Park to undertake their Annual Races. Well done to the organising committee and all the volunteers who worked so hard to make the event such a success.
Annual Village Meeting – Wednesday 23rd May
The Annual Village Meeting is just that, a meeting for the Community, and not a Parish Council meeting. Over 100 people turned out for the exhibition and presentations. For the first time, the event “went live” on Facebook and the video of live interviews with exhibitors received a very positive response.
The Hook Community Award is presented by the Council, from nominations submitted by residents. Dermot Smith received the 2018 award for his work in the development of Hook Action Against Over Development Group (HAAOD), their website and newsletter. The analysis of complex documents, presented in a simple, easy to understand way for all means that he is a real residents’ champion for Hook, who is in touch with the community.
- Patricia Hughes, Joint Chief Executive of Hart District Council, gave an enlightening presentation covering topics including local crime, new homes, affordable housing, countryside and, of course, the Hart Local Plan.
- The Hook Local History Society demonstrated their new online project, which includes a number of video clips on various Historical topics in Hook. If you would like to know more about this project, e-mail or 01256 766451 or it is available to view at the Parish Council Office.
- Whitewater Health Patient Participation Group (PPG) gave a very interesting presentation on their latest initiative on “Managing a Healthy Weight”. Please contact the PPG via the Doctors Surgery for more information on this project.
- The Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group’s Chairman provided an update on progress with the Plan and a timeline for it being submitted to Hart for the next state of consultation.
Next year’s Annual Village Meeting will be held on Wednesday 1st May 2019, which is just before the full Parish Council elections. This will be a great opportunity to meet the candidates, so note the date in your diary early.
In recent months there has been a significant increase in waste being fly tipped. This not only looks unsightly, but in some cases, the waste can be hazardous. If you see anybody dumping waste, please report it via www.fixmystreet.co.uk or call Hart District Council on 01252 622122.
If you need to dispose of household items and are unable to take it to a local refuse site, make sure you employ someone reputable, with the necessary licence to dispose of it at a Waste Management Facility. If they do not dispose of it appropriately, you could be liable for any fines that result. Go to https://www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk/ for a list of reputable traders
Dates for your diary
- Hook Annual Village Show and Craft Fair – Hartletts Park & Hook Community Centre -Sunday 15th July 2018 12 noon – 5pm